Friday 15 January 2010

Wheelchair


I spent years in a standard 'L' shaped electric wheelchair supplied by my local hospital wheelchair centre. I then discovered electric standing wheelchairs. Shortly afterwards I went to the Motobility show at Reading where I tested one and could not stop smiling so much. People passing the stand commented on it.

It's a shame that I had to find out about this by myself because no medical groups informed me about such a thing.

I then spent months trying to get the Primary Care Trust (PCT) to apprciate how beneficial a standing chair would be. Eventually they supplied the funds to replace my old wheelchair with a Easycare Genie standing wheelchair. So if my PCT can can do it then so can yours.

During this process I discovered that there are many actual medical benefits of this chair - click here to read an article I wrote on the Benefits of a Standing Wheelchair. This was printed in the MS Trust's "Open Doors" magazine.

There are also medical benefits which have been written about, these refer to the benefits of movement.

The immediate benefits for me were psychological, it was so great to stand up and have people speak to me rather than over my head to my carer. I could join others and stand at my son's football matches,  join in the hymn singing at church, etc.. I remember so well when an engineer came to check my hoist. In the past he would talk to my carer, even when I asked a question. But with my new chair I was able to stand and then he spoke to me directly - I had become a normal human being again.
Easycare Genie ®
standing wheelchair

This standing chair is fantastic and has revolutionised my life! I can now communicate with people at eye level, which means I can join in conversations easily and be accepted as an adult, rather than being treated like a child. I can also stay overnight at friend's without having to organise a hoist as the chair reclines fully into a laying position.

The company that make my chair, Easycare, have been extremely helpful, especially in adapting it to suit my individual needs. For example, I used the chair for the first 3 years using hand controls like any other electric chair. However, over the last couple of years I was beginning to find it increasingly difficult to use my 'driving' hand, therefore was relying on others to steer me. So I contacted Easycare to ask what could be done and they sent someone out who added a head control to the chair. This gave me full control and my independence back again. However, the head controls stick up above the headrest and make me look a bit like an insect with antennae!! Skype Emoticons

Unfortunately, two years further down the track, my MS has progressed so much that I can no longer control my chair independently so have to be driven by a carer. An attendant control joystick has been added to the back to make this possible.

Taking a nap in the garden
October  2011 Update
I have now had this chair for over six years and still find it very comfortable.

However, it has recently been playing up by continuing to move, even when no-one is pressing an operating switch - this was very scary. You must remember it is over 6 years old and used, or should I say misused :-), non-stop every day!

I contacted 'Easichair' and Bob Hester, the manager, came to see me. Bob is also the person who designed the chair and is an engineer. The chair stood no chance.! He found the problem, mended it and the chair is as good as new.


Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment