Thursday 13 October 2011

Computer Gizmo

I have recently got a wonderful gismo that helps tremendously with my use of the computer, and therefore my communication.


This all started when I had an appointment with my speech therapist who recommended a  Sensory Software Grid 2 system . One was given to me to try and have not stopped using it, much to my husband's dismay because it means the computer is not free for him to use. Wahay.
It's so good to be in control of something. MS does take away so much control.

This is the Word Processing screen view on my PC.
It also has email, music, internet browsing and many more functions

I am learning all the time and dredging up old memories that I didn't know I had (like using a qwerty keyboard.) Myhusband recommended that I 'save' every line or two, because I do tend to delete things when I spasm. Sending emails was fun and I started this with my husband and mother, both of whom would understand if I got it wrong. It has also given me a new neck exercise which is probably good, but does make my neck ache.


When I first started, after relearning the keyboard, I had to learn what all the 'special' keys did. It helps that my husband is quite computer literate so can help me tremendously.


The camera sits above the PC
and tracks my head movement
Apart from the joy of being able to control something and talk to the world, it has given me a lot to learn, which can't be bad for a 52yr old.

As I said above, it is very good for communication and control and I wouldn't be without it.

How it Works

Reflective spot sticks to my spec's

I am quadriplegic and cannot use a conventional keyboard. With this system a camera is positioned on the computer and I wear a light-sensitive spot on my glasses.

This means the computer can see exactly what I am looking at. I have to move my head to choose what I want to do : press a key on my keyboard, read my email 'inbox', send an email, etc.

I decide what I want, look at it for one second and the computer types/chooses it.

There is also predictive text to help speed things up, but in my case my eyesight is not good enough to see it without moving my head.

When I dwell on a letter (in this eg the 'D')
it selects it.
Note predictive choices to the left
I have recently been funded by the PCT for another part for my gismo and that is a sound sensitive switch. This chooses what I want from the screen when I make a noise. Fine except when the doorbell goes and the dog barks!

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment