Wednesday 7 July 2010

History of my colostomy

I had my colostomy two years ago after a friend recommended it and looked so slim and fit that you would never have realised. I didn’t have it fitted before this because I didn’t know of its existence.

Before having this done I had lots of problems. I had to sit on the commode for between two and three hours at a time, so in the mornings I spent most of the time in my pyjamas. I was also suffering from haemorrhoids and achy buttocks. I was having side effects from the bung up tablets (medication to paralyse the gut) I was having to take, and extreme discomfort from some of the things being inserted into me (anal plugs) and constipation.

Now my carers change my colostomy bag every morning - no fuss, no mess. This is disposed of normally just as you would a child’s nappy.

It wasn’t possible for my children to have sleepovers, we weren’t able to have any family outings and not only mine, but the whole of my family’s quality of life was affected.

It took approximately six months for me to be booked in for the elective surgery to take place. I felt no discomfort during the procedure which I had done under spinal anaesthetic, which caused no lung problems.

I was an inpatient for five days in Weston General Hospital. I wasn’t allowed to leave until everything was in good working order. The colostomy had been changed by me and all carers under nurse’s supervision, so as there were no problems when we returned home.  The colostomy nurse was available by phone and visited me at home.
It took a couple of months for me to get used to the difference and my main concern was that I didn’t have all the equipment that I may have needed in the house. The supplier I use though is wonderful - I placed an order yesterday and it was here this morning!

The sensible stuff
  • There are deodorants available.
  • Carry a spare colostomy bag. Bags should already have the hole cut to fit so you don't have to mess with it when you are out.
A personal tip – give it a name! I refer to my colostomy as Norman, so I am able to talk about it in public whilst maintaining my privacy. My friend’s is called Fred!

The colostomy is like having a bum on your tummy.




If you want to know more, contact your GP and/or hospital incontinence clinic

1 comment:

  1. It's an interesting prospect, colostomy for MSers. How does it work with intimacy with your partner. I imagine it takes a very mature and non-squeamish person to deal with that. Decisions, decisions...

    ReplyDelete