Monday 24 September 2012

Sports car

I never thought I'd get out in a
sports car again
I thought I would never go in a sports car again. Let me explain....

My first car was a Triumph Herald convertible which I loved dearly. When I bought it, it was in a frightful condition, but with a brother who was a car panel beater I brought it back to life. OK, it still had holes in the floor and was incredibly draughty, but it took me to France twice and I slept in it on numerous occasions. Once I went on holiday with my brother and two friends and we got half way down France before breaking down. Herald convertibles are not designed to carry four adults! As I said, I loved every thing about soft top cars. The sense of freedom, the wind rushing past your face, the waves from other Herald drivers, etc.

I dreamed of one day being rich enough to own a soft top white Mercedes convertible, but it was not to be. I got married and had children instead.

But my husband remembered my love of soft tops and when a friend of his was selling his MG recently, he bought it depending on my 'say so'. I couldn't stop smiling the first time I went for a drive in it with the friend, so that was a definite 'yes' and we bought it.
Getting in ready to go

Let me explain more. I'm completely paralysed by MS and cannot move at all. I have to be hoisted into bed, so I do have a manual Wispa hoist. My husband is a wonderful lateral thinker and has 'knocked up' a beam outside our house on which he put a wheel which holds the hoist and supports me. The car is positioned under the beam with the door open, I am hoisted out of my wheelchair using my sling as if I am getting into bed, wheeled over the car passenger seat, then lowered into the seat and the sling is removed. Obviously I only do this when it is good weather because open top cars and rain don't mix.

I can only get in and out at home at the moment because I need the beam, but my husband is designing something else which will enable me to access the car when out. I'm looking forward to pub meals, etc.

Watch this video to see how this works:


No comments:

Post a Comment